January 31, 2021
Self care : doing the things that make you feel more like yourself. – Robyn Conley Downs
“I always look forward to my birthday, I get to eat that decadent-creamy-chocolatey cake I crave, pamper myself & spend the day doing all of my favourite things.”
“I can’t wait for the holidays, I get together with my family, we satisfy our cravings with the yummiest snacks & play all of our favourite board games, it’s the best day ever.” …
Who else feels like this sounds a little familiar? Special occasions are always so special because typically we fill them up with all of our favourite activities, foods, hobbies, rituals, etc! But what if we didn’t wait for a specific date on the calendar to feed our mind, body & soul exactly what makes us feel like our happiest selves?
What Is A “Favourite Things Day”?
This is a day that you allow yourself to indulge in & enjoy all of your most favourite things. From start to finish, no distractions or chores, just you doing what you love the most. It’s such a simple concept, yet how many of us can say that we incorporate a day like this into our regular lives?
Keep in mind that birthdays & other holidays/occasions don’t count, the goal is to set aside just one day for yourself more frequently throughout the year.
This is basically a graduated version of a self care Sunday, you could even re-name it “Ashley’s Day” & schedule it in if you need to. Just remember that you are always deserving of blocking out time for yourself, regardless of what obligations you may have.
Walking You Through My Day + Examples
This is all about those simple things that you love, your special day is most certainly not about spending tons of money on expensive stuff. We’re taking it back to the basics & using the foundation of who we are to determine the little things that build us up.
What My Day Looks Like (not in any particular order) :
- Time spent reading, meditating or fully tuning out anywhere in or by a natural body of water – eg. lake, ocean, waterfall.
- Driving & singing along to all of my favourite songs.
- Visiting a cute bakery & treating myself to something delicious – ideally I’d try a new bakery & baked good each time, just because I love to switch things up!
- Yoga in an atmosphere that speaks to my senses – eg. in nature enjoying the fresh air, inside with essential oils diffusing, burning incense, etc.
- A bubble bath that feels luxurious – I’d most likely go the extra mile with a lavender bath soak, some candles lit, a little vino & turn out the lights.
- Sunsets &/or stargazing – personally, this is what makes me feel the most alive in my life.
- Sushi… and more sushi please!
- Getting as cozy as possible & enjoying a relaxing movie night – & of course this wouldn’t be complete without some fur baby snuggles.
My goal is to leave you feeling inspired & motivated to take your self care day to the next level, after all it’s the little things like this that can help us to become our happiest selves & what better year to begin than 2021?
Is this something new or something you’ve already been practicing?
Don’t forget to subscribe for more content & leave a comment below, message me or tag me on social & tell me all about your special day!
See you back here next time,