Greek Yogurt Style & Dairy Free Alternatives
February 17th, 2021
If you’re looking to re-create the most deliciously easy, better than Starbucks banana bread you have come to the right place! Using my all time favourite key ingredient (greek yogurt) & I’ve also included dairy-free alternatives as an added bonus!
Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the banana? I personally cannot get over just how versatile they truly are…
Need a quick, healthy snack? Grab a banana. Looking for a little treat? Frozen banana popsicles with a little chocolate drizzle & coconut shavings. Cramps ladies? You already know what I’m going to suggest!
Now let’s get right to the real star of the show, the drool-worthy banana bread that’s super easy to make & even easier to devour.
Ingredients (With Dairy-Free Alternative Options)
- 3 small / medium bananas or 2 extra large bananas (overly ripe is best).
- 2 cups of flour (all-purpose or whole-wheat).
- 1/2 cup of regular sugar.
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
- 2 eggs (or swap with an egg free flaxseed substitute) : combine 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 5 tablespoons of water, mix together & let sit in the fridge for 10-15 minutes until the mixture become thick/gooey.
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- 1/2 cup of greek yogurt (or swap for a dairy-free yogurt) the yogurt is key in this recipe!
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
- 1/4 cup of olive oil (can be swapped out with vegetable or avocado oil).
- 1/2-1 cup of chocolate chips, depending on preference (use majority in mixture & sprinkle the remainder over the banana bread mixture once poured into loaf pan).
*For more in depth info on flaxseed egg substitutes check out : https://cookieandkate.com/flax-egg-recipe/
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- If using flax egg substitute, prep mixture and let sit in refrigerator until you combine the wet ingredients.
- Line a 8-9 inch loaf pan from top to bottom with parchment paper.
- Mix together dry ingredients : flour, both sugars, salt & baking soda, set aside.
- Whisk together wet ingredients (in a separate bowl) : bananas (pre-mashed), eggs or flax substitute, greek yogurt or dairy-free substitute, vanilla extract & oil.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Add mixture to the prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle remainder of chocolate chips on top of the mixture.
- Bake in oven for 60 minutes (the exact bake time may vary depending on your size of loaf pan & oven).
- Toothpick should show no liquid, however a very slight crumbly texture may appear.
- Remove banana bread from oven & allow to properly cool, add a swipe of regular butter or vegan alternative to your slice & enjoy!
There’s just something about banana bread that is beyond comforting, whenever I create this recipe we always set the intension to make it last throughout the entire week & end up inhaling it within just two days 😅.
Let me know in the comments below if you plan on re-creating this recipe & your final thoughts! Plus don’t forget to subscribe for more lifestyle goodness.
Check out my recent self care posts :